Thursday, December 8, 2016

Events 11/23-12/9: More Skimming

Wednesday was a weird day. Holocaust Lit was fine. Afterwards, my group met to work on the presentation. We decided to go with a very minimalist powerpoint.

Thursday, I had the presentation. Most groups chose to go with a very detailed powerpoint, which made us feel out of place. Our presentation was also shorter, although I think we were the only group to actually stay in the time limit, if that counts for anything. I think I did my part well. The Lions won their game, another comeback.

The rest of the weekend was relatively uneventful.
On Monday, I finally got into a presentation group for Central European History, and headed to Memento Park, a Communist monument, and the subject of the presentation. It was interesting, seeing both how the communists had been "revered" for years, but also the decay.
Memento Park

My favorite statue. (It's huge, like 30 ft tall)


That evening, our group met to plan, and then gave our presentation. The prompt was complicated and weird, so we mostly winged it. We decided to go first, which was a great decision, because pretty much everything we said was also said by another group, but us going first hid it, as it was all new at that time. But we got a great score on it (later) from the professor, so I guess it went well. It reinforced two things for me: 1. I can give speeches, without fear, and 2. I suck at giving speeches. My part had awkward pauses, stumbling through words, confusion about what I was going to say next, and I don't think many people were impressed. I'm not afraid of it anymore, but public speaking does not come naturally to me.

The rest of the week was a bunch of last classes, other than Late Antiquity. They went smoothly, and I worked for the end of the year, albeit with plenty of procrastination.

Friday, we got a tour of Hungarian Parliament, which was cool. Not many pictures allowed, unfortunately, but it was beautiful, and it was cool learning the history. They were setting up for Christmas, apparently Santa was coming to Parliament in a few days.


Another boring weekend, even the Lions were boring, winning by a decent amount for once. The next week, I had my last service-learning. It was bittersweet. They love me there, and everyone talked about how nice it was to have me (although it was also said to me that if I want to become a teacher, I would need to put in a lot of work!). I also wrote a small paper, and then took the final exam, in Holocaust Literature. I think it went well! My studying paid off.

I had my last Late Antiquity course today, and now it is time for bed, so I can get up and go to Serbia!

No comments:

Post a Comment