Thursday, January 5, 2017

Wrap-up

I almost didn't write this blog, it's so late now, and I don't have much more to say. I've already talked to most of the people I've wanted to about the trip.

The blog was... mostly a success. It ended up being more limited in scope than I wanted, and I kept getting way behind. I probably shouldn't have been so detailed in my day to day stuff, and talked more about broader things. I learned a lot about blog writing, I think. But it was still good, and I think it will be great to look back on. If anyone has any questions, I get notifications, so I'll still answer them, even after today.

My favorite thing about the trip? Seeing all the architecture, and the age. It really reminds me how young the United States is. My favorite moment was walking across the Charles Bridge at night in Prague, and looking up and seeing these lit-up fairy-tale like castles. It was so unreal. It was amazing.

This isn't the time or the bridge (it is still in Prague), and it doesn't give any idea of the wonder I felt, but you can get an idea of the architecture in the background.


I just loved that.

Worst part was how tired I felt, and by extension how much my knees hurt. There was a *ton* of travel, and while I loved it, it kind of wiped me out. It's been nice not having to travel so much.
Worst moment was waking up in the middle of the night on the Croatia trip, and projectile vomiting, cramping, and having diarrhea. Ugh. I get nauseous just thinking about it. Food poisoning is awful.

I'm already missing the architecture, and I'll probably start missing everything else in the coming months. But man, it's good to be back with friends and family. I never really got close to anyone there. I like my people.

The drinking was frustrating. Hungary has twice the global average for alcohol consumption, so it's their culture, so it's not really a surprise that most of the Calvin students went out drinking so much, but I did feel left out. My decks of cards and board games that I brought never got used. :(

I did have some personal growth. I learned to be much more independent, and I think I'm about ready to go live on my own. That won't happen for a while yet, but at least I'm ready. It gives me a more solid foundation.

On the whole, Hungary was an amazing trip. I want to keep traveling, but if I got to choose, I would choose somewhere in a new part of the world, SE Asia, India, Africa, or South America. Nothing against Hungary, but I want to continue to expand my view of the world.

Isaac gives Calvin's semester abroad program in Hungary two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment